Wednesday, November 24, 2010

K&W at Borders South Coast Plaza – 19Nov2010

Early in the week, I was walking around the parking lots with my electric guitar, and a lady pulled up in her car and shouted, "Do you give lessons?" I told her, "No, but I know a guy who does." I gave her my email address so she could contact me and I could give her Warren's info, but I also told her that she could come see us at Borders on Friday, meet Warren in person, and even maybe discover that the crazy guy who plays guitar while walking around the buildings really isn't crazy after all.

And she actually showed up. She's a big "music fan", and seemed to really enjoy listening to us and asking for songs -- and not just as an "audition" for Warren as a teacher. But she (Lisa) wasn't the only one. There were several people who were joining in, listening and requesting. It was almost like having an actual audience!

But Lisa is apparently a rocker at heart, because she requested almost exclusively the faster songs on the list. As a result, I think it was our hardest rocking gig ever. I don't generally like to play the rock songs on the list, because I think they sound a little pathetic on acoustic guitar with no bass nor drums, but I have a few on there anyway. She asked for all of them, and the Friendly Guy Who Works There came up and asked for "Roll Over Beethoven", too. So we played a lot of fast songs that we seldom play, some that we haven't played for years, and more of them in a single gig than ever before, I'm sure. "Take Me to the River", "Don't Stop Believing", "Daydream Believer", "Peaceful Easy Feeling", the aforementioned "Beethoven", and there was an older guy there who asked for "Dream Lover", and "Teach Your Children", and a nice lady next to Lisa who asked for "Country Roads". Some "harder" than others, of course, but it sure seemed like a lot of *strumming* to me.

And big fun. Lisa and Warren wandered off to talk business toward the end, and set up a date for the first lesson, so apparently we passed the audition -- all good, all around. But do I need to get a tattoo now?

3 comments:

Jeff Bowman said...

You get a tattoo and I will too! (and you KNOW I will!) Great account of your gig.

Keith said...

There's no actual way I could or would get a tattoo - I'm a total wimp around needles. I just figured I can't qualify as an genuine "rocker" without one.

Diana Reeves said...

Keith, you are as genuine as they come, Baby!