Monday, November 15, 2010

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- 12Nov2010

A bit disappointing after last Friday's success -- I guess it really was the nice weather, and last week was *before* the time change which probably helped, too. A lot fewer people this time, and less "connecting" going on, but still better than sitting at home watching TV.

I did have some people listening -- Daleen came by for a while with the dogs, and there were some friendly people along the way, and a pair of teenage-girl Beatle fans at the end. And sometime in the middle, there was a guy looking on my table for a business card (which I'd neglected to put out), needing my email address, saying something about wanting to hire me. He discovered the email address at the bottom of the song list, and insisted that that was enough, and left. I didn't think much about it, until I got an email on Saturday morning, which I'll just quote in full:


Dear Keith:

I heard you play at the spectrum today and I just wanted to say thank you very much for playing. I was having such a hard day and I took a very long walk to calm down...maybe a 5 mile walk I would say, and I ended up in the spectrum where you were playing. See, I've been diagnosed with depression and have reoccurring thoughts of suicide, today being no exception, but for some reason hearing you play made me feel so much better. I know it may not seem like a lot to you, but it meant a lot to me. It really makes a difference to people, even if it's just one simple song. Thank you for giving me something worth living this day, and something to keep me going in the future.

I appreciate what you do. You don't have to respond, just thought I would let you know that you make a difference.


So... there's that.

Kind of makes worrying about the "take" in the tip jar fade in relevance...

You know, I'm obviously glad to have had a positive impact on the guy's life, but I'm not sure how much credit I can claim, since I was completely unaware and just doing my usual show (which, let's face it, I do for the attention). But still, nice.

No comments: