Monday, December 05, 2011

Keith at Irvine Spectrum - 19Nov2011

Awfully slow for a Saturday night, caused, no doubt, by the disruption from the very loud generator running next to the Hurley promotional truck parked over by the movie theaters.  I guess I'll have to give the booking lady the benefit of the doubt and presume that she didn't know that the Hurley people would be running a generator to power their big TV screens and such, making so much noise that the scheduled performer would be mostly drowned out, but it was pretty bad.  And the worst part was that the truck was in the main flow of traffic -- usually, people can hear me from across the plaza as they go by, and wander over if they like what they hear. But with that generator going...

Anyway, I was singing and playing well, for those that did come over, but mostly I felt pretty alone.  Until suddenly a group of little kids came running across the plaza (trailed by their various parents) to jump around right in front of me, and it was *on*.  I played all my kids' dance tunes, and a bunch of the regular kids' songs, and didn't have to feel weird about boring the adult audience with the kids stuff, 'cuz there wasn't one.

The Hurley people finally shut the generator down at 8:30 or so, and it was suddenly luxuriously quiet.  It was great to suddenly sound so good -- I wish there had been some people there to hear it...

I made a possibly-record-low $27, but that's understandable with as few people as I had. The only question is: What am I paying dues *for*?

No comments: