Thursday, December 08, 2011

Keith at Santa's Workshop -- 03Dec2011

It was a pretty small turnout for Santa, but it's early, and maybe some parents are smart enough to avoid starting up the kids' Christmas Anticipation Engine with three weeks left to go.

So an actual line never really materialized -- just a constant clump of a dozen or so people waiting at the gate. I played anyway, of course, and actually got to play some of the non-kids Christmas songs, since it was mostly adults waiting in line.

The kids were running loose, playing with the toy train setup, or watching the projected kids' Christmas shows (Frosty, Rudolph, Charlie Brown, etc.) behind me. The setup is a little strange now, 'cuz there are people milling around behind me as I'm situated to play to the line. I may try to come up with another setup, but there aren't a lot of options.

Anyway, it was fun, and not too terribly cold -- yet. In previous years I've set out some CDs and the little standup signs and a candy basket (as a stealth tip jar), but the card table has mysteriously disappeared, so I didn't do that this time.

But, one grampa came over and slipped a fiver underneath my cup of water so it wouldn't blow away -- that was nice. His 2-year-old granddaughter was fascinated by the guitar, so I had let her strum it a few times, despite how sticky she was getting with the Christmas cookies and candy canes. I'm about to need new strings anyway...

No comments: