Thursday, May 17, 2012

Keith at 5K Run -- 16May2012

A guy from Kaiser Permanente saw me at Spectrum and liked me enough that he called to hire me to play an outdoor meeting he was holding for some international guests. But the weather turned cold for the day of the meeting, so the gig was cancelled. A few weeks later, I was surprised to get a check in the mail, so I asked them to book me sometime to "work it off", and finally got a call to come play for the company's Health Fair 5K run. Weird, but since I'd already gotten paid...

It was in a park in Long Beach, but they set me up a little stage -- with balloons! Unfortunately, I wasn't really what the coordinator, Tiffany, was hoping for -- she wanted "Pump it up!" music, and that's not exactly what I'm good at. Of course, I tried to oblige anyway, and played my most upbeat tunes, and it wasn't *too* bad.

I was set up right across from the start/finish line, and I mainly played for the people waiting to get started. It wasn't really an "audience" kind of situation, but I did score one little fan, Ida, who listened for a while and then took advantage of the "Make a Poster" booth to show her regards.

Anyway, I'm glad I got paid, 'cuz it was more awkward than fun. But maybe it'll lead to some more appropriate gigs out there someday -- a lot of people heard me and threw some appreciative comments my way, and I gave a stack of cards to the coordinator to pass out to her friends, so maybe they'll seek me out for upcoming, lower-key, events.

No comments: