Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- 12May2012

An inexplicably subdued evening. The weather was nice all day, but turned surprisingly cold after sunset. Not much response from the people most of the night, for some reason.

But it was also Acacia's Prom Night, and the theme was 40's "USO Show". At Daleen's suggestion, the kids met for dinner at the Spectrum Ruby's (which is 50's themed, but close enough), and then they came over to see me briefly before they went on to the prom. I played "Mister Postman" (I know: 60's -- but again, close enough) so they could warm up their dancing legs. They caused quite a stir for a while there.

Even before I got started, there were three Japanese ladies sitting on the planterbox behind me. I gave them a song list and let them chatter their way through it as I got set up. When I was ready to start, I asked which song they had decided on, and the spokesman for the group proclaimed "Reetahl Mahmaid!", by which she meant "Part of Your World" from the movie "Little Mermaid". That was unexpected, but of course I played it for them (after a few "grownup" songs to get started with). They were sweet and enthusiastic, and later on they asked for "Let It Be" before hustling off, presumably to catch "The Avengers" like the rest of the world.

I had a few little kids, and gave away some fingerlights to some teens, but never really got anything going. Still, there were at least a few people out there listening, so I kept playing until 11:15 when I announced that the next one was going to be my last song.

And just then, a young couple of my actual Facebook fans showed up, asking for -- and slow-dancing to -- some love songs, so I ended up playing for another hour. They've seen me play several times before, and they were the only ones left, so I had fun playing some different kinds of stuff for them: "To Make You Feel My Love", and "Ballad of Love and Hate", "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes". I don't mind playing what people want to hear -- it's why I show up -- but it's nice to get to break out of that Top Twenty once in a while.

No comments: