Sunday, February 03, 2013

K&W in Laguna Beach -- 03Feb2013

The new batteries are here! And since I had a pretty good day last Sunday, and it looked to be a nice weather day, it seemed like a great chance to see what they can do.

Of course, it turned out that it was also Super Bowl Sunday, but we decided that Laguna people probably aren't into that kind of thing, so we went anyway. And there were, indeed, lots of people out. So many that it started to feel a bit like last summer, with throngs of people streaming heedlessly past. Still, you can't blame people for having somewhere else to be, and the more people that come by, the more chance that some of them will hear something they like.

Unfortunately, in the daytime, the parking meters will only allow a 3 hour maximum, so we started at 1:00, and had to quit at 4. I was very happy to find that I covered the whole time with only one of the new batteries -- success! And since I bought two new batteries, I presumably now have access to more than 6 hours of amplifier time, which is longer than I can stand there singing anyway.

The only bummer was that another street musician, Tom, showed up as we were setting up. Warren told him that we'd be playing for quite a while, until 3 or 4, and he said that that's OK, he was just hanging out. Which he proceeded to do The. Whole. Time. He just sat on the middle of the bench (mostly precluding other people from sitting there), and listened, for the whole three hours.

I've heard him play before, and he's pretty good. So it was a bit intimidating to have him there, but I guess it also kept me on my best game. But he didn't clap, didn't smile, didn't comment, and kind of "dragged down the room". I kept thinking that he'd get bored, or hungry, or something, but he just sat there.

Oh well. We still pulled in $54, even with Tom's "chilling effect" in place, which is a Darn Good Day for down on a street corner. Definitely beats watching some football game on TV.

No comments: