Tuesday, February 12, 2013

K&W in Laguna Beach -- 12Feb2013

We did our "standing" Tuesday night in Laguna, not expecting much, and not getting much, either. But that was OK, I took the opportunity to play a whole bunch of songs that I never usually do. For some reason (the dextromethorphan?) I was having some kind of weird clarity of thought thing going on, so my guitar playing was really accurate, and I could remember how to play songs that I haven't tried in years. It was really fun to have that "infallible" feeling.

A couple dozen people walked through, but our buddy Homeless Frank was really the whole audience all night. He kept telling us how much he liked "the new stuff", maybe because he's already heard "the old stuff" a million times.

At one point a nice lady walked right up, looked at my sign, and said, "Keith, you have a really beautiful voice!" I said, "Thanks, I got it from my dad" (as I always do), and asked her if she wanted to pick a song. She said that anything I wanted to sing was fine with her (as they frequently do), so I fired up "Leaving on a Jet Plane", which tends to "work" with ladies in her age range. And it did -- she stood there smiling at me for the whole song, then thanked me, put something in the jar, and walked across the street to climb into the passenger side of a waiting, running, car. I guess she liked me well enough to make her husband just wait...


No comments: