Friday, April 25, 2014

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- Friday, 25Apr2014

I wasn't expecting much, since the last few Fridays have been pretty slow, but it was nice weather, and a lot of people, and especially kids, were out.

I must have sung "Let It Go" six or seven times; three or four of them as on-stage sing-alongs. That song always brings in a crowd, but if I have some kids already there, I ask if anybody's seen the movie "Frozen" -- as if there's any way any of the kids wouldn't have by now. The question always gets the expected enthusiastic response, so then I ask if anybody knows all the words to The Song.

Anybody that raises their hand is automatically a volunteer to come up on stage, particularly after I tell them where to stand and to face "that way, toward the cameras", which makes sure that the parents will insist that their kids come up (as they get their cameras out). Fortunately, the movie appeals to an age of kids that mostly aren't too self-conscious to get up and sing yet.

I also get teenage girls that love that song, and though they won't get up and sing, they're fun to have because they tend to also know a bunch of the other Disney songs, so I can play a whole set of them. Some of the littler ones don't know, say, "The Little Mermaid", which isn't terribly surprising since it came out 24 years ago. Still, by the magic of DVD, some of them do, and my "picture menu" Kids' Songs list was a stroke of genius.

Anyway, a really great night, and I made an almost-record amount in tips, so I must have been doing something right.


2 comments:

Sarah Mander said...

Sounds like a really fun set!

John Johnson said...

"The Song"... lol.