Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Keith at Senior Daycare -- Tuesday, 23Feb2016


Well, that went pretty great. Back in "the big room", with the terrific acoustics, so the sound was good, not much feedback from the guitar, the replacement microphone works good, and the new battery seems to be OK, too.

I was somehow less embarrassed than usual there, and managed to talk a little between songs. This is actually a daycare for oldsters with memory issues, and last time it became pretty clear that although some of them are reasonably together, most of them don't remember yesterday, much less the last time I was there playing.

I try to play songs that their generation might recognize, and there may be something to the rumor that even if they don't remember much else, songs have a way of sticking. But I'm torn between old songs that I don't do that well, and newer stuff that I'm really good at. So I kind of split the difference, and play some of each -- which suits the younger ladies that work there just fine.

And the old folks are either very appreciative, or very polite. Nice applause after every number, and at the end several people come up to tell me how much they enjoyed it. Including a visitor who was there with his sister to visit his other sister. He was from Tennessee and appreciated my rendition of their waltz, and his sister is from Georgia, who was glad to hear "... On My Mind".

And a dapper gent named Carlo came up and was telling me how much he enjoyed it, but *very* quietly, so I smiled and thanked him, and got a little closer as he went on, and then realized that he was speaking Italian the whole time. But the big gestures and smile told me everything I needed to know...

No comments: