Friday, February 26, 2016

Keith at Uncorked -- Friday, 26Feb016

I'm basically playing this place every other Friday for a while, which is great, though it might have been nice if it had fallen antipodally to the weekends that we're on in Laguna. On the other hand, this gives me every other weekend free. Like I have somewhere else to be...

Anyway, it was a little sparse this week, but pleasant. And the owner doesn't seem to hold it against me that the place isn't packed.

Which makes sense since I dropped by last Friday to drop off some posters for her to put up, and of course, check out the competition. The guy was even older than me, barely competent on guitar, and trying unsuccessfully to get people to come up and sing, karaoke style, to his ancient folk songs. I believe I’m certainly a better bet for her in the long run than that guy...

One nice couple requested a bunch of songs and finally got up to leave, and asked me on their way out when I'd be back. The guy said, "You play our kind of music". I know, right?

Another lady had also requested a bunch of songs, and finally asked for "Stardust". She asked me to confirm that that was the Hoagy Carmichael song, which, yes it is. She said that she had done a paper in college about how songs from the Great American Classics were so easily made terrible, and that her example had been "Stardust" as rendered by Regis Philbin.

That pretty much put the pressure on, but when it was done, she proclaimed my version "beautiful". Whew!

No comments: