Saturday, February 27, 2016

K&W in Laguna Beach -- Saturday, 27Feb2016

I guess it just goes to show how variable it can be. Although two weeks ago we had plenty of people to play to, this time we were basically alone the whole five and a half hours we stood out there. But it was awfully cold out, and all the young women are invariably dressed in impressively skimpy outfits so I can't really blame them for not wanting to stop. Though they did frequently dance through the corner on their way past, so that's something.

Part way through the evening my wife's sister's ex-husband (my ex-brother-in-law?) and his new fiancée and friends came through. He stared at me on his way through, probably recognizing me somewhat, but since I was in the middle of a song I nodded at him but couldn't say anything. Later on they came back through again the other direction and he stopped this time to be amazed at running into me this way, and to request "God Only Knows".

I had built a new electronic drum pedal, but even though it sounded OK at home, it was way too quiet to use out on the corner even with the volume turned all the way up. On top of that I was having terrible feedback problems, so I had to turn the bass down on the guitar which made it sound terrible. And at the end of the evening, the microphone started fading out and then causing a really strange distortion. I think that may have been caused by the new amplifier battery running down, but I'll have to chase that down before my next gig. (OTOH, maybe five hours is plenty...)

Anyway , it was a pretty lame evening, and has convinced me not to pursue my previous idea of going down on "Tommy Saturdays" and playing the 11 o'clock to 2 a.m. shift. At least not until the warmer days of Spring get here. But by then I hope to have the option of playing in Dana Point instead.



No comments: