Friday, April 29, 2016

Keith at Uncorked -- Friday, 29Apr2016

Last week got cancelled due to a busted bathroom (apparently working bathrooms are a legal requirement -- who knew?), but I agreed to swap with "the other performer" to get to play this week (and stealthily took the opportunity to request another "make up night"). It was already pretty full when I got there, but it was hard to "break in" to the many conversations already in progress. So most of the night was pretty low-interaction, though I coerced a few requests from some of the groups.

Frequent guest star Heather was there, and came up to sing "Landslide" and later on "You've Got a Friend", though I'd already done it several times. (Once, in fact, for a group of younger people who asked for "You've Got a Friend" and when it was over, called out "...Friend In Me", the completely different theme song from "Toy Story". Another tiny lesson in linguistic accuracy, kids.)


And somebody yelled out "Purple Rain!", which got seconded by a lot of others and gave me the opportunity to play my arrangement of "When Doves Cry" that segues into the first verse and a few choruses of "Purple Rain". Glad I didn't learn that for nothing...

Toward the end, a group came in that really made the night worthwhile -- requesting songs one after another. But it was already pretty late, so that didn't last long.

Unfortunately, all night I was under the impression that the "make up night" was next week, but when I was about to leave and said, "OK, see you next week!", the owner cleared up my misconception. Too bad she didn't hear me telling it to customers, over and over all night, and fix my error sooner. I hope the "other performer" appreciates the audience I mistakenly drummed up for him for next week.

No comments: