Monday, October 24, 2005

KC - RSM 22Oct2005

OK, well, that didn't go very well at all. Several reasons, I guess -- a completely unresponsive audience for one. Polite, possibly even authentic, clapping, but no real *listening* going on, most of the night. I tried to just ignore that and play anyway, but my concentration was further compromised by a group of 8 or 9 boys, seemingly unattended by any parents, running in and out of the store most of the night, hassling me, talking loudly right in front, etc. They were pretty awful, and it was a real challenge to remain civil. Good practice, though, I guess.

And, possibly the main reason: I had set up a notebook to record the whole thing. I used the store's amplifier, because it has line-level "Tape Out" jacks, which I ran to the notebook. Unfortunately, I set the levels too high, so most of the recording is clipped in the loud sections. Not much of a loss, though, since I didn't perform very well anyway. Whenever there's a recorder running, it's all I can think about, and I end up performing really badly, 'cuz I'm trying too hard not to make any mistakes. It's like *trying* to go to sleep -- the harder you try, the less likely it is to happen.

I guess (hope?) that the solution to that is the same as the solution to general stage-fright -- just do it, again and again, until the novelty wears off.

Anyway, it wasn't "bad", exactly, but it was certainly disappointing -- especially after how well it went two weeks ago at South Coast Plaza. I was hoping to get a little of that "on tape", but, no magic.

We have an Indian Princess campout next weekend, but I'll be back at RSM again in two weeks for another try. I hope it goes better -- I'm not sure my performer's ego can take that much bruising again.

No comments: