Monday, December 21, 2009

K&W at Borders South Coast Plaza -- 18Dec2009

I didn't know whether it would be crowded because it's Christmas and everyone's out shopping, or whether it would be empty because it's Christmas and everyone's out shopping. I guess, the former. It was pretty empty right at first, but then people showed up and it was quite full towards the end.

There was a group of high school kids doing "free" gift wrapping (with "donation" jars, up at the front of the room. I gave them a song list, and the girls were really excited and asked for several songs. When I played them, they stood up and grinned at me, swayed back and forth, and gave me the thumbs-up at the end. That was fun.

But we had lots of people come down closer, too, and lots of participation, requests, and a presumably record tip take, $23 each. Must be Christmastime.

I mostly avoided playing Christmas songs, 'cuz Warren's not fond of 'em, but a young family, who we've seen many times there before, stopped in, and I couldn't let them go without doing "Rudolph" for the little ones. And later on, I did "Merry Little Christmas", and maybe one or two more.

But it was also the first outing for "I'm Yours", by Jason Mraz, and my new arrangement (using my newly-discovered/invented "clawhammer" right-hand technique) of John Lennon's "Imagine". They both seemed to work OK, even though I'm still working out how to I want to play "I'm Yours", and when to use the Harmony Box.

Anyway, the night seemed very short, which, I guess, since I've been playing mostly 4 hour chunks at the Spectrum lately and this was "only" 3, it was -- but I think I was also Having Fun.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

..and the sound was great!