Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Keith at Santa's Workshop -- 06Dec2009

The city of Mission Viejo builds a big display in the parkway between the city Library and the Civic Center and puts on a pretty elaborate Santa's Workshop and visits with Santa (and Mrs. Claus) every year, for the three weekends in December before Christmas. They finally figured out that they could get local people to come down and entertain the line of families that are waiting their turn to talk to Santa. Me, anyway...

It's pretty fun -- a nice, "targeted" (i.e., all about the same age), and captive audience. I just set up on the lawn beside the line (safe on the other side of the picket fence), and play Christmas songs. It goes over pretty well -- the kids like me, and the parents are grateful for anything to distract the kids so they don't go ballistic while they're waiting in line.

There are some Girl Scout volunteers acting as elves, holding the line back and letting each family go up to Santa's house one at a time. I set up a card table there at the head of the line, with a stack of CDs and a tip jar. Last year it worked really well -- the next-in-line family is kind of stuck there, staring at my table, having been listening to me for the last 15 or 30 minutes ("hint, hint"). A lot of CDs disappeared, and a lot of money took their place.

But this year, they've added a snow machine just above that entrance, with spotlights pointing down from the mast to show the snow as it flutters down. Unfortunately, the new stuff blew the fuse for that whole area and it all went dead,and nobody there knew where the breaker box was. There was plenty of ambient light around from the other displays and street lights, but it pretty much put my little display table in a dark hole. I guess that, plus the pretty light turnout (this was the first weekend), made for a light "take" ($29 -- still not too shabby).

I had fun -- it wasn't *too* cold, it's a nice amount of time (2 hours), and I like playing for (civilized) kids. And Santa's-lap aged kids are just about the right bracket. They all sing along with "Rudolph" and "Jingle Bells" (as do some of the moms). It's actually kind of surprising, though, how few actual kids songs there are for Christmas. Most of them are of the "White Christmas" and "I'll Be Home for Christmas" soppy type. I can't really play those for the kids, so I augment the list with a few normal kids' songs like "Puff", "Lollipop Tree", and "Rainbow Connection". I did get several requests for "Feliz Navidad", so I guess I'll have to learn that one before next Sunday.

No comments: