Thursday, December 24, 2009

Keith at Irvine Spectrum "Myrtle Court" -- 23Dec2009

When I emailed the girl who books the acts at Spectrum to tell her about The Amazing Hat Stealing Incident, she, apparently by way of apology, offered to let me play at the Myrtle Court stage again for free, but within December, and the weekend nights were already booked. Better'n nothin', I guess.

It was a lot like last time, lots of people streaming by, too busy (or cold) to stop and listen. Come to think of it, I think more people stopped to stand under the umbrella heater behind me than stopped for the music. I did get a few young families -- parents seem to like to show their little kids a Real Live Musician for some reason. Since no one else was listening, I tended to pull out "Rudolph" for the kids. It usually invoked some singing-along by some of the teenage girls and moms-on-a-mission zooming by, too. Hard to resist calling out "Like a light bulb!", I guess.

A few small groups braved the cold for a while and sat at the tables to listen. And lots of people gave me a smile as they whipped by. The sound is pretty nice there, and it's still fun to play "out", even to dead silence, if only for those occasional surprise bursts of applause when you unexpectedly capture someone's attention.

And at one point, a guy stopped at the edge of the stage and said, "Hey, Keith! You're doing a great job, man. I've walked by here several times, and you sound just like John Denver." Thank you! But wait, who?!? I get told that I sound like James Taylor a lot, but I think this was the first time I've gotten John Denver. Anyway, I quickly flipped to my new John Denver song, "Leaving on a Jet Plane", which I'd instinctively avoided because of its extreme John Denver cheesetasticness, but I tried it out after it appeared on "Glee", and, after transposing it down for my vocal range and working up a cool guitar technique for it, it plays and sings real nice.

I didn't think I'd made much in tips, 'cuz so few people stopped at all, but there were 6 CDs gone, and $50.08 in the jar. Good thing Janet waived the $50 setup fee...

No comments: