Saturday, June 11, 2011

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- Fri, 10Jun2011

Whoops.  I seem to have run a little long again.  The "shift" is supposed to be from 6-10pm, and I usually run over, but this time it got all quiet and mellow, and there were lots of friendly people listening, so I kept on playing.  But after a while, I was getting pretty hungry, and I figured it must be getting pretty close to 11, so I checked the clock, and it was *midnight*!  Six hours straight with no break -- no wonder my fingertips were starting to hurt and my voice was getting scratchy...

But actually, I'd had a short break at 6:30.  A lady came up and told me that they had scheduled a Flash Mob there, and could I stop playing for the length of their song.  I said, of course, and offered to help with the sound system.  They'd expected to be able to hear their dance number ("Dynamite") through a bookshelf iPod boombox.  Noobs.  "It's pretty loud", the guy said, but, no way --  they'd have been completely screwed if I hadn't been there.  We stuck my mic in front of his boombox, and were able to fill the place.

After that, I had the usual rush of little dancing kids for a while, and Daleen and Acacia came by with the dogs (and "guest dog" Macy) just at the right time, so my little dancing crowd of kids got to meet them, too.  And two of my Indian Princess dad friends showed up.  That's always fun.

It was a little like last time -- appreciative people, tip-wise, but not much clapping.  On the other hand, several people came up and told me outright that I was "terrific", "really good", etc., and I sold 3 CDs.  I guess it really is just the layout/distance that makes applause difficult at this place.

I guess it's officially Summer, 'cuz there were lots of people out, even on a Friday.  I made $177 -- pretty close to a record, and certainly the best Friday ever.  Can't wait to see how it is on a Saturday!  Next week!

But wait!  I'm also playing there this Sunday afternoon! I wonder if my feet, back, fingers, and voice can handle it.  Maybe I'll try to keep it down to just 4 hours...

No comments: