Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- Sun, 12Jun2011

Pretty slow at first, but got good towards the end. I wish I could figure out how to have the final hour of a gig last for the whole four...

I had come by the night before, just to see who was playing, and the guy there did a several Original tunes (to zero response), and then did "The Only Exception", which visibly drew in a batch of teenage girls. I've been meaning to learn it, so I worked it out Sunday morning, but I've only heard it a few times, so I'm a little shaky on the tune and how it fits to the chords. I did OK the first time through, but by the time I did it again later, I had completely forgotten how the bridge part goes, and just stumbled through it. Ouch. Good thing nobody was listening... I've been working on it some more, and I think I have it down for next time, though. Hopefully.

There was a guy there with a box of something that he'd bought (dishes maybe?), looking kind of frantic, apparently waiting for someone who wasn't coming. He finally came up and asked if he could use my cell phone, 'cuz his was dead. Really?!? Out of all the people here, you decide the guy up on the stage is the one to ask for a favor? But, whatever -- I let him use my phone. Twice. All part of the service, I guess.

And I had a family show up with a tiny little girl, couldn't have been more than two, who apparently knows the entire Disney music catalog already. Usually at her age, they only know "Twinkle, Twinkle", but she lit up with recognition for all the Disney songs I had. I was impressed.

Not a lot of response for most of the time, but there was a while around 6:30 where a bunch of people were hanging out and actually competing for Request turns. And despite the apparent apathy, I made $98, including one attached to a pipe-cleaner "dog?".

No comments: