Monday, June 27, 2011

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- Fri, 24Jun2011

Yet another great night at Spectrum. Lots of little kids (and their families) right at first, since today was the opening day of "Cars 2".  And Daleen and a couple of her dog-therapy friends came by with various dogs in tow, and Acacia with one of her friends.  That's always nice.

I've been working up "The Only Exception" by Paramour, and it's starting to sound pretty good.  I can't sing it in the same key as the female original, so I had to work up a guitar part that retains the original "carried-through" descant note to make sure it had "That Sound".  The "How to play it" videos and tabs on the Internet don't get it, but I do.

Later on, there was a cute 2-year-old girl named Jamie (one of my favorite names for a girl) who just immediately became my best friend, asking me for "Twinkle Twinkle", "Itsy Bitsy Spider", and "another one" again and again, all in her completely unintelligible babble language.  I had to get her mom to translate, 'cuz I just don't speak 2-year-old anymore.  But she was very sweet, and too cute.

I've been specifically setting up with the cables laid away from the front edge of the stage, just so I can go sit down on the edge and talk to the little ones if the opportunity came up, which it hadn't until now.  I let her strum across the guitar a few times, which visibly thrilled her (and, in turn, me).

And I'm really beginning to like doing "House at Pooh Corner" these days.  My voice has been cooperatively high lately, and the high notes that used to be unattractively strained come out nice and clear now.  That, plus the addition of the harmony box, is making this one sound really good to me.

I made $76, and 14 CDs were missing.  That's some kind of record, and either flattering or disturbing, depending if you want to believe that they were all paid for, or if this is the first case of someone snagging CDs while my attention was diverted.  I can keep a half-eye on the table while I'm singing, but I can't claim to have round-the-clock surveillance.  On the other hand, if this is the first time I've been taken advantage of, I'm probably OK.

No comments: