Sunday, June 26, 2011

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- Fri, 17Jun2011

A really great night -- terrific weather, and lots of people out enjoying it, and me.  I had lots of people listening the whole time, and I ended up running an hour over, and only quit then because I knew I needed to save some strength for the next night.  (This was a "pick-up" gig that I got because someone else cancelled -- I don't normally book two Spectrum gigs in a row (nor do they let me, anyway).)

They've installed a new stage; a nice, solid, professional one.  It's a little less rickety, but the surface is hard plastic, instead of carpet, so my harmony box slides around easier.  That's sometimes a good thing, and sometimes a problem, but I'll get used to it.

The highlight was when five women came out of the movies and stopped by on their apparent "Ladies' Night Out".  Clearly my Target Market. They loved my stuff, danced, requested, laughed at my jokes, and generally were out for a good time. I need more like that.

And there was a pack of 8 or 10 high-school kids that listened for a while, requested a few songs, and then just sat down in a bunch right out in front of me.  They weren't really even paying attention to me after a while, so I wonder why they'd want to sit in such a noisy area, but who can tell with kids?

I did pretty good for a Friday -- $82 in tips. But more importantly, it was a great night, all the way through.

No comments: