Monday, April 02, 2012

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- 31March2012

The weather had been nice all week, and I was hoping for a big turnout at Spectrum, but Saturday it turned all cloudy and threatening. It wasn't really all that cold, but it did send me packing in a light rain/drizzle about 9:20. (But at least it wasn't a repeat of the scheduled but totally-rained-out St. Pat's Day gig two weeks ago. Because of that, it's been 6 weeks (!) since I've played Spectrum.)

Got a really late start, too -- after I'd gotten 3/4 set up, I noticed that the power was dead, and to make matters worse, my phone's battery was also dead so I couldn't call Maintenance. I put the obvious valuables back in the suitcase, and carried my guitar and iPad out to find somebody. By the time they got it working it was already 6:40, which, with the early "called for rain" end time, made it my shortest Spectrum gig ever.

But fun. Seems like I had a few people standing around the sides of the stage most of the night, and one little dancer that dragged her parents back for more 3 or 4 times over the evening (and kept bringing me "another money"). I was another big Persian Social night, and I had a bunch of their little kids hanging around, so I brought out my give-away shakers (plastic easter eggs with hard red beans taped inside) and gave away 4. As I had suspected, they were a bit too young to get any rhythm going, but whatever.

After a while, I decided to also give them some of my "finger lights" (little LED flashlights in various colors). There were 4 kids when I started giving them out, but suddenly another half-dozen appeared from nowhere. But that's OK -- the kids were having a great time running around playing with them, and while they cost me a quarter apiece, the parents invariably put many times that into the jar, so it's win-win for me and the kids.

First outing for Daleen-recommended, newly-learned, Green Day song "Good Riddance" (a.k.a. "I Hope You Had the Time of Your Life"). I was skeptical, because it's a bit too high for me to sing in the original key, and has a distinctive guitar sound via a particular altered chord. Transposing such a thing is usually impossible, but I figured out a clever way to make it work. And the song seemed to go over pretty well, so I guess the effort wasn't in vain.

Weirdest part -- a guy I recognized from before came up and again asked for some ELO or Bee Gees, and again left a fiver even though I was unable to oblige (he settled, both times, for Neil Diamond's "Play Me"). I had actually taken a look at some Bee Gees tunes in the interim, and although none of them called to me much, I guess I'll have to learn one before the next gig there in three weeks.

Anyway, I came home with $87, even with such a short playing time. That and the joy on the kids' faces as they ran and played with the Finger Lights made it a great night, and worth the electrocution risk as I finished up "If I Fell" in the rain...

1 comment:

Jimmy Lee Robbins said...

Keith , I really relate to your " musical situations " and somehow your relaying them makes me feel ' normal ' , whatever that is ! I'm sure that all guitar players have the same things happen to them in some form or another ... it's just good to know that I'm not the only one who has " issues " from time to time . Thank You for being so open !!! Keep pickin' and building callouses !