Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Keith (not) at Irvine Spectrum - 20Apr2012

Well, I was *supposed* to play, and the weather was finally terrific so I was really looking forward to it. But when I got there, another band was already set up on the stage. And it was the "Peruvian" band, with 3 guys and a ton of equipment, so they had gotten there really early and were completely deployed.

The Maintenance guys somehow thought that the kid at the other stage wasn't really supposed to be there, and offered to send him home and let me play there. But Security brought down the booking lady's boss who confirmed that the kid was OK -- it was really a double-booking on the original stage. So I went home with a promise that he'd convince Laurie to suspend the "Only 2 per month!" rule so I could get a "make up".

And she did email to apologize and offer me some alternate dates, of which I took the only Saturday (this coming up, next one), even though I'm also booked for this coming Friday. I'm not sure I've got the stamina work a full week and then do two gigs in a row anymore, but we'll see!

The best part of the mix-up is that I've now met The Boss, and can copy him on my email exchanges with the Laurie, and maybe she'll be a little more civil -- though she did completely ignore (as usual) my email suggestion that double-booking mistakes were impossible in the old days when the schedule was publicly posted, and maybe she could think about re-implementing that. Oh well.

No comments: