Wednesday, August 08, 2012

K&W at Laguna Beach -- 07Aug2012

By the amount of traffic, it appears that summer is winding down already. Or maybe it was just too hot to be outdoors in the late afternoon -- we didn't have much interaction until the sun went down and it cooled off.

It occurred to me that the CDs are kinda hard to see, sitting on the crate next to me, and that maybe the tourists would buy them if they considered them a "souvenir". So I made up a sign to try to attract attention, get the "souvenir" idea across, and help people buy them without having to ask me "How much?" all the time.

And it kinda worked, I guess. I/we usually sell no CDs at all, sometimes one or two on a good night. This time we sold three -- not a huge spike, but considering how few tourists were out (I don't want to be accused of "profiling", but face it, you can tell the tourists from the locals), I think a pretty high percentage of them were drawn in by the sign. One couple who sat and listened for a long time bought one for $20, and the lady told me that they'd listen to it "on the way home" to San Diego.

There were disappointingly few little girls whose moms wanted to hang out for a while. I was dying to give away some of my new "daytime handout" bubbles, but there was nobody to give them to! Finally a little girl appeared, and I gave her a bubble tube, with instructions that she should provide the "special effects" for the next song ("Over the Rainbow" -- I know, kind of mixed metaphors, but work with me here). She proceeded to blow great bursts of bubbles, all through the song and the next few, as if it was her life's work. I didn't really mean for her to take it so seriously...

We pulled in $90, which was a nice surprise considering the low traffic. We played for 5 solid hours, 5:15 to 10:15, when I called it off. The first few hours were mostly a waste, but if we don't get there early, we won't get Greeter's Corner, and the whole evening will be a waste. I guess I'm in for next Tuesday...

No comments: