Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Keith at Laguna Beach -- 29July2012

I probably shouldn't really be playing Every. Other. Night. But you know what addiction is like -- gotta do it anyway, even though you know it's not good for you. The blessing/curse of playing street corners in Laguna is that I can do it any time I want. And I *always* want…

Of course, it's also a Limited Time Offer -- once school starts up again and the tourists go home, it won't be nearly as fun, so I've got to get it while I can. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

But I kind of had to go down anyway, looking for the lady at Chico's to ask her if I can play in her shop on Thursday for Art Walk. It turns out that Chico's is a women's clothing store, and not as gallery as I had assumed. I guess that's OK, just because of its ideal location, but the lady I'd talked to wasn't there anyway, and the other ladies were busy with customers.

So I guess I'll see if she's there on Tuesday night, and if not, I'll just go in on Thursday Art Walk night, and if she's there, or not, just offer to play in the shop. And if they say no, I can just go find a corner anyway. But playing in a shop would be much more quiet, and I could use my good big amp instead of the not-so-good little amp. We'll see.

Lots of people out, more than Friday (and I made $66). A guy came up that said he lived near to James Taylor and asked me to play some of his songs. I said, sure, but don't tell James...

Later on, a little 2 or 3-year-old girl that was being towed past by her mother just dug her heels in and, once liberated from her mom's hand-hold, started dancing to the decidedly non-dance song I happened to be playing. Of course, I played "Roll Over Beethoven" for her as the next one, and some teenage girls came out of the ice cream shop to dance along with her. Just during that one song, the crowd ballooned up to more than a dozen people, smiling at the little dancer(s).

And at some point, a teenage girl came over, bought a CD, looked at me and said "You're amazing!", and walked away again. *That* was nice to hear.

No comments: