Monday, October 22, 2012

K&W at Laguna Beach -- 15Oct2012

Just another quiet night in Laguna, playing for Silly Patty and some of the usual homeless guys. The bad part is that not many people are out anymore -- the good part is that it gets nice and quiet, so it's fun to play and sing (especially with my new not-really-stealth rig that uses my "real" amp, instead of the smaller, bad-sounding, practice amp).

The only problem (OK, one of the problems) with these street corner gigs is that there are no rules. People can do whatever they want, within social and legal constraints, which, in Laguna, are pretty lax. For instance, if a guy shows up with a loud drum and wants to play along, off beat, there's not much I can do. If a drunk shows up and wants to sing along off key, same thing.

With homeless Matthew, who I can't tell if he's always slightly drunk or just partly spun-out, it's singing, and stomp-dancing, along. He's harmless, and kinda sweet, if tone deaf, and goes on and on (and on and on) about how great we are, and how we (?) sing like angels, and how amazing every song we play is. He's just kind of erratic, and scares the normal people away.

Lately, he's become enamored of the LED "Glow Ball" that I put in my tip jar to make it findable in the dark. I finally fished it out and let him "hold" it, and when he disappeared with it, I figured the three bucks it cost me was well spent to be rid of him for a while. But he brought it back eventually. I ordered a bunch more from Hong Kong, and I think I'll just give him one when they arrive -- though I'm not sure if making an even better "friend" of him is a good idea or a bad one...

1 comment:

John Johnson said...

If you're going to do missionary work, you might as well wear a Salvation Army uniform (it might even discourage the riff-raff).