Monday, October 15, 2012

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- 13Oct2012

There were *way* more people out than I'd expected, but maybe I was just projecting the fall-off that we've had down in Laguna. Still, it was strangely hard to get through to anybody, at least for the first few hours. I'm used to people zooming by, obviously, but usually I can snag at least a few. But until about 8:00, hardly anybody stopped. Strange. And disconcerting...

But eventually that wore off and I had the benches filled, and some folks standing around, and requests a couple deep. And over to the side, a pretty college girl, scribbling furiously in her notebook. I assumed she was writing up a journal entry or something, but it turned out that she was drawing. Me. And then she threw the picture in my guitar case and disappeared without a word, mid song. It's quite good, though it makes me look old. Or at least older than I think I look... [Click to enlarge the picture.]

I finally remembered to bring the "foot tambourine" that my daughter got me for my birthday. It straps onto your foot, and rings when you tap. Theoretically. The good part is that it doesn't ring unless you really mean it, so you can wear it all the time. The bad part is that it doesn't ring unless you really mean it, meaning, stomp pretty hard. I was wearing my boots, so it was kind of hard to get it to ring with my heel already 3 inches high. Maybe I need to move it out towards my toes more, like the guy in the picture, but then I'm afraid for the elastic. Needs experimentation, and practice, I suppose.

Anyway, it was pretty fun for the second half, and I played on through until 10:45. Went home with $101 in the jar, and some artwork to boot.

1 comment:

John Johnson said...

That's a very nice sketch. I suspect that everyone who knew you back in the day agrees that it makes you look "older"... but your kids will probably say, "Wow, looks just like you Dad!