Monday, December 31, 2012

Keith at Laguna Beach -- 31Dec2012

I thought that maybe there would be New Year's Eve party people out on the streets downtown to play for, so I worked up "Auld Lang Syne", got dressed like I was going to the snow, and headed down at 10:00. I figured that I could drive past The Corner, and if nobody was out, I could just cruise on back home.

But of course, once I was down there, and since a really close parking spot presented itself, I stopped to check it out. There was a guy with a guitar on the opposite corner, trading songs with a girl on accordion. She had this really great style of just pulling on long chords and singing over them -- reminded me of some of Steeleye Span's stuff, though I didn't recognize any of the songs. No one else was out, so I stalled a while and decided, since I was already there...

There was hardly any car traffic that late, so it was unusually quiet. I'm pretty conscious of not stepping on other performers' sound space, so I set up my rig, but kept it turned down really quiet. There were lots of dressed up people zooming by. I have no idea how the girls were surviving in those micro party dresses in the 40-degree weather. Maybe that's why they went by so fast...

It was pretty discouraging at first, but after a while the other performers left, so I was able to turn it up a bit, and then people were noticing me more. But they were all on their way from one bar to another, and it was clearly not a Party out on the corner. Still, I got several of those people who rush by, deliberately not making eye contact, and intending to just burn past -- but who pull up, apparently realizing "Hey, this guy's pretty good!", and digging out a buck or two to drop before the Walk light changes. Those are always very gratifying.

I did have one young couple sit down to wait out the end of the song I was in the middle of, specifically to come up and tell me that they had seen me a year and a half earlier at the food court at Foothill, on their first date. That was pretty sweet.

As midnight approached, people started scurrying past even more, apparently trying to get to the Right Place when the time came. I could tell when midnight hit, 'cuz suddenly the noise from the nearby bars and restaurants coalesced into "Five, four, three...", just like it used to do for the evening rocket launches when I lived down Florida.

I fired up "Auld Lang Syne" as it hit midnight, which sounded pretty cool, fingerpicked and with harmony, and just ran through it in a loop for a while. I missed seeing the new year in with Daleen, but it was kinda cool to be ringing it in doing something I love, even if I was only singing to the trees along Forest Avenue.

I hung out for a while more, playing for the people as they gave up and went back to their cars or started trying to hail taxis. Got some great comments, and $15, from the "I love you, man" crowd. Lots of "Happy New Years", and one girl grumbled as she went by, "I just wanna stop and listen to *this* guy -- he's the best singer I've heard all night", but I guess she was overruled by having to keep up with her fast-walking friends.

Anyway, by 12:45 or so, I was just too cold to play any more -- I couldn't feel the strings or frets with my left hand, and couldn't fingerpick with my stiff right-hand fingers, so I was making too many mistakes. I had played "Mister Tambourine Man" a while earlier, and the lines "My hands can't feel to grip, and my toes too numb to step" struck home.

Happy New Year.

5 comments:

Warren Allen said...

Glad you went for it... I saw you on my way down to the Full Moon Drum Circle, so have been wondering how it went... sounds worth it... though it certainly was close to too-cold-to-play-outside...

I've been playing 'Auld Lang Syne' too, though on harmonica and tinwhistle. Could you slip me your song sheet?

I typically run through it in the standard 4/4 meter, at a moderate tempo, and then flip to 6/8 at a faster clip, so I'm playing it as a jig.

Keith said...

I guess the Drum Circle was on the 28th, not New Year's. I saw it on my calendar, but decided it would be too cold and/or deserted. Though I suppose that the bonfire made it more bearable than standing on a corner...

I looked up "Auld Lang Syne" on the Internet, as I always (inexplicably) do, but, as always, the chords were lame, so I came up with my own -- not that it's particularly difficult. I'll send a sheet in email.

Warren Allen said...

The FMDC was bigger than I'd anticipated. The bonfire looked warm, but I wasn't able to get very close to it. I had to back up a fair bit to be able to hear my gtr well enough. There was still a large contingent of hoopers and fire-spinners.

Keith said...

Hardcore, man. But I guess that also describes the idiot standing on a street corner with no possibility of a warm fire, too...

Warren Allen said...

It's a tough job, but...