Tuesday, January 08, 2013

K&W at Laguna Beach -- 08Jan2013

January is as empty of gigs as December had been full, so even with the cold and likelihood of empty streets, I decided to go down to Laguna just to get a playing fix. And it was pretty much as expected.

But after a while Silly Patty showed up, though she spent most of the time talking to the homeless guys. I did get her to come up and sing the Girl Part of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" with me, which I can still get away with 'cuz it's an "it's cold" song, not particularly a "Christmas" one. It was a bit tricky, 'cuz I only had the one mic, and it's a head-mic at that, but she held it out and we tried to sing into it together like John and George.

It went pretty well, so I had her sing "Santa Baby", which, OK, *is* a Christmas song, but there wasn't anybody there to complain (nor listen, for that matter), and we were having fun.

After that, I sang a few more songs, and suddenly the amp started cutting out, due to lack of power. I should be getting 6 hours out of it, since I installed a second battery, but I only got 2. On New Year's I was only out there for 1:45, so I don't know if it would have done more or not. Seems like I got 2:30 at least at Naples.

I don't know if I just didn't charge it enough, or if there's something wrong with the batteries, or what. Both of the batteries are almost new, but I don't know how to test 'em except to just use the amp and see how it goes. I guess I'll charge them for a couple of days, and just go down and do another evening down there, and see how long I get. If I don't get more than 2 hours again, I'm gonna have to go talk to the guys who sold me those batteries...

4 comments:

John Johnson said...

Nice! I just heard the version of BICO by Leon Redbone and Zooey Deschanel for the first time in many years. Didja sound like that? Or was it more James & Natalie?

Keith said...

Hmm. Neither, I suppose. My version is more country than any of these "soft jazz" versions. I guess I need a snare and some brushes to get that laid-back feel...

What I can't figure out is how *anybody* gets away with singing this song these days. Is date rape more acceptable in the winter than the rest of the year?

Warren Allen said...

I think of it more as a Sales Force Initiative than out-and-out DR... but I suppose it's all a matter of interpretation...

John Johnson said...

Yes... the song is a quaint relic of simpler times. I understand there are more recent versions which have the gal singing the "wolf" part.

You really gotta hire some roadies to
look after your equipment, man.