Friday, April 19, 2013

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- Friday 19Apr2013

Another good night at Spectrum. Lots of kids out this time, and I got two separate full-blown kids' dance parties started up. Who'd'a thought that I, a confirmed non-dancer, would end up teaching so much dance -- since I always teach the kids how to do the Mashed Potato before I start up "Mister Postman". Some of them manage it, and most of them don't, but the parents think it's cute and funny for them to try.

I had some little girls that I wanted to give some fingerlights to, but the flaw in this scheme is that, if I give some lights to some kids who have been listening and/or dancing and, you know, being part of it, there are usually a bunch of kids just hanging around at the edges, *not* participating, but once they see the lights being given away, they all come running. So I end up hoping that the deserving kids will stay around until the undeserving kids wander off.

And that finally happened, so I gave lights to two little girls, but there were a set of four more that had been dancing and stuff, but were being distracted by the moms. The new lights I got recently come in a little plastic wrapper with four in a set, so I walked out and just gave the packet to the "leader" (there's always one), and told her to pass them out to her friends. I started into the next song, and then I looked up and realized that they didn't know what these things even were, so I stopped and went back over to do some fingerlight tech support. Once they saw that they were flashlights, they were delighted, but they sure must have been baffled before that...

Anyway, I sold 8 CDs, made $135, got lots of nice comments, and had lots of fun.

1 comment:

John Johnson said...

Heh... "fingerlight tech support".