Saturday, July 12, 2014

Keith at the Sawdust Festival -- Saturday, 12July2014

This year I only got two gigs at the Sawdust Festival (last year I got three), but one of them was a Saturday, which is pretty cool. It was at the Greek restaurant on the south corner, but the restaurant was closed due to "equipment failure" for most of the day. Which was OK -- it just made the seating area into a nice place for people to stop and rest, and listen to me.

I played from 11:00 until 3:30, but in their enforced half-hour-on, half-hour-off schedule. This is meant to prevent people from staying and listening to a band instead of looking at, and buying, art. And it works. And it's a bummer to get an audience established and then have to shut down so soon. Though it is flattering when everyone gets so loudly disappointed.

My brother, his wife, and their grandson came by for the last set. It clearly blew his little mind to see his (great?) uncle up on a stage playing music instead of at, say, a Christmas party.


There was a big "trumpet playin' band" up on the main stage. They were supposed to play the half hours that I wasn't, but they always cheated over their stopping point, and they were *really* loud. Much louder than I would have thought was allowed, since the contract you have to sign is 90% about not being loud. And if you are, they'll ask you to turn down. And if they have to ask twice you'll be sent home and not invited back. But I could hear these guys from out in the street in front of the Festival grounds when I'd go out to the van. But when my slot came around, I'd just start anyway -- I'm pretty used to playing over the top of a nearby rude band...

Other than that, it's a perfect little gig for me, perfect for the style of music I play, and for the kinds/ages of people that are there. And the sound was really good -- I guess I'm not used to not having either automobile or mall shopper traffic noise while I'm playing...

The cool part was, it seemed like almost every group that stopped to listen bought a CD. I had to go out to the van during my breaks, twice, to fetch more of them. I ended up selling 17 CDs. I think that, now that the $5 price is more obvious, people are buying a CD instead of just tipping -- if they were going to throw a couple of bucks in anyway, why not just up it to five and take a CD home?

So, I had a *terrific* time, and got paid, and more than doubled that with the tips and CD money. Sure wish I could do more of these!


1 comment:

Warren Allen said...

Wow... so good, in so many respects... The hard part for me is having to stop and restart like that... but the environment is most supportive...!