Saturday, July 12, 2014

Keith in Laguna Beach -- Saturday, 12July2014

So since I was done at the Sawdust Festival at 3:30, I packed up and drove down to see if The Corner was empty, and it miraculously was. *And* I found a parking space. Of course, having played for five hours the night before at Spectrum, and 5 half-hours at Sawdust, my fingers were already pretty sore, but I couldn't resist.

It was pretty hot, even still at 4:30, but there were lots of nice people out, and the ice cream shop was doing good business, and so, so was I. at least two groups of people who had seen me at the Sawdust Festival came by and said, "Hey, didn't we just see you..?"

The CD buying spree continues. I brought ten of each, and sold out of the grownups' CD, and seven of the kids'. I just don't have room in my bag to bring any more inventory than that -- I'll have to think of something.

Warren showed up awhile after I started, but he left at 6:00 or so to get down to the Full Moon Drum Circle. I carried on solo until my fingers couldn't take any more at 10:45.

I did take two breaks, which I never do. The first one was to eat half a gyro for dinner. And then I had two of the local beach bums show up and monopolize the bench along with an elderly guy who comes by once in a while to tell me that he used to be a folk singer. I needed a break anyway, because every time I played a barre chord, my index finger was seizing up and wouldn't bend anymore, so I sat down and talked with the folk guy until the beach bums got bored and wandered off.

He's 73, and has lost most of his short-term memory. He asks me the same questions, over and over: Where you from, originally? What's your name? Where do you live? He must have asked me if I know the old Harry Belafonte hit "Down the Way" (actually called "Jamaica Farewell") 10 times. I suppose I ought to learn it, just to have a different answer next time he comes by. Frankly, I don't know how he finds his way home.

I was kind of hoping to be able to stop earlier than usual, just to give my hand and fingers a break, but of course, as it gets later, the car traffic, Harleys, and sirens lessen, and my quiet stuff starts to really work. I don't get many "golden hours" like that (and the way my hand is getting, I may not get many more), so I gotta capitalize on them when I can.

The tip jar was a new record, and I know I'll be suffering all day tomorrow with my back, knees, feet, and fingers, but for now, it was totally worth it.



1 comment:

John Johnson said...

The spirit is willing, even when the flesh is weak.