Saturday, July 16, 2016

K&W in Laguna Beach -- Saturday, 16July2016

Now that all the art festivals are open, it's getting tough (and expensive!) to park down there, but it's worth it. Nice night, lots of people. It never really "clicked" somehow, but fun anyway.

A couple of little girls with too-big ice cream cones wanted "Let It Go" (imagine my surprise!), and the littler one came up to theoretically sing along, but she was far too interested in the ice cream to actually do any singing. Cute, though.

It was the first weekend since the release of the global "Pokemon Go" phenomenon, and hundreds of people were playing as they walked by. You can tell who's playing (versus just texting or trying to find the next bar on the map) 'cuz they almost always have an external battery wired to the phone they're glued to, since the game is a huge battery drain.

Some of my old Indian Princess friends came by, and naturally wanted to hear my Princess campout greatest hit, "Waltzing With Bears". I never play it anymore, but it's still in The Book, and I mostly remembered how to play it.

Around midnight an older fellow showed up and hung around at the side bench, apparently waiting for us to finish, 'cuz as soon as I gave up at 12:30 and started tearing down, he came over to rant at me about how there are plenty of "number ones" and these musicians these days don't play them. I pointed out that this was pretty much *exactly* my philosophy too -- I play the most-known hits of the best-known bands (in an admittedly time-limited swath) -- but he kept telling me, again and again about the "number ones" like it was some kind of X-Files conspiracy. I'm with you, dude, and I'm on it!

No comments: