Sunday, July 24, 2016

Keith in Dana Point -- Sat/Sun, 23/24July2016


Last weekend I nearly died out there playing in the sun in this heatwave, so I found me a cleverly-adjustable sun umbrella, and attached an extendable window-washing pole to the amp's rolling cart to get it up high enough to clear me and my hat. Took some finagling to get it positioned right, but it worked great. A nice lady came by and said, "Oh good, you got an umbrella. I was worried about you!" Nice to have that one out of the way, but there are plenty of other reasons to worry about me...

I also finally broke down and bought an "Under the Sea" bubble wand the last time I was at Disneyland. Then in a perfect storm of happenstances, two sisters came by, each holding their Ariel Barbies. I showed them the list, and they chose "Part of Your World", my favorite song from "The Little Mermaid", and I fired up the bubble machine, as I played it. Four (or more?) more little kids appeared from nowhere, and it was a bubble party!

Of course, what I hadn't thought of was, once you start, how can you turn it off? I stood there for a while after the song was over wondering, "Why did I go to all that trouble to learn how to play this guitar?"

I went down from 9 to 11 on Saturday morning, just to try to determine when the best time to be down there is. And then I went down again in the evening and had a pretty big crowd around 7:30. And then again on Sunday, brunch-time. Somewhere along the line, a lady picked up a business card, and on Sunday afternoon she emailed me and hired me to play a birthday party in September. That's how it's *supposed* to work!

No comments: