Friday, July 01, 2016

Keith at Uncorked -- Friday, 01July2016

I've finally broken my "Every Gig" rule for these posts, in that I didn't post one for last time at Uncorked, simply because nothing novel happened. But this time was different...

Not *all* that different, but it was really fun because there were *some* people there, but it wasn't full, so it was quieter and people were more inclined to listen and request songs. I had some appreciative people at first, and one guy asked me to play "Vincent", which *never* gets requested, and a lady wanted me to play "Lemon Tree" because her husband had never heard it. Um, OK.

But as it got later, it mostly emptied out, and then a couple came in and Mister Big Beard was *totally* down to pick some songs. And he did, wall to wall, for an hour or so, until an older couple came in and he insisted -- no, demanded -- that they pick some.

The old guy decided that looking at the list was "cheating", so he just named stuff, songs or artists, that he wanted to hear. I knew a few of them, and had "adjacent" songs for the rest. Like, he asked if I knew any Marty Robbins, and I played "Cool Water" instead. I ended up playing a bunch of stuff off of my "Seniors" list that I created for when I play at the old folk's home: "Tennessee Waltz", "South of the Border", "Today", "I'll Never Find Another You", "Moon River", etc. It was refreshing to get away from my Top Twenty for once.

When it was closing time, the lady went up to one of the guys and told him how great it was to come in there and hear some soft, nice music, and how they'd definitely be back. Sometimes I wonder if I'm "worth my salt" playing there, but I hope that helps them feel like I'm justified.

No comments: