Monday, April 12, 2010

Keith at Borders South Coast Plaza -- 10Apr2010

We've been playing at South Coast Plaza exclusively on Fridays for over a year now, and I was hoping that this special-permission Saturday would be more lively. I was wrong.

Same usual group of Asian kids studying (or pretending to), and bored, lost, or ex- husbands hanging out in the bookstore for lack of anything better to do. I failed to get any connection started off the bat, and played to stone silence for most of the night. Nice acoustics, though. And no interruptions...

I tried my best to win someone over -- playing my biggest hits, but they weren't interested, and my voice was still pretty clogged up so I wasn't really getting anywhere. After a while, since no one was listening anyway, I took the opportunity to play some new stuff. That's always fun, and good practice.

But finally, the judicious black guy who asked for some great songs last week came in and gave me someone to play for. And as soon as he started clapping, several other people joined in. See? That wasn't so hard!

Unfortunately, he got there pretty late, and with the new early closing time, it was over before it made up for the previous hour and a half.

Probably because his own hair and beard are prematurely white, as I was packing up, he mentioned that he liked the color my hair was turning. I've been thinking that whatever amount of color "dirty blonde" originally claimed is essentially fading out, but he said it looked like it was "turning to bronze". I like that.

I have a new "Flip" digital camcorder on permanent loan from work, and I had an idea -- I set that one up, and also my usual point-and-click camera in Movie Mode, at two different angles, and ran them both for the last half-hour or so. Yesterday, with a lot of fiddling, I was able to make a video of "Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye" that cross-fades back and forth from one view to the other, with a little "Ken Burns" slow zooming thrown in. Makes a far more interesting video. You can check it out on my Facebook page (since my YouTube account got shut down...) http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1393143159307

No comments: