Thursday, April 08, 2010

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- 03April2010

Started off crazy, with 3 teenage girls (who I've seen hanging out there a lot) sitting right down front, impatiently waiting for me to finish setting up so they could have me dedicate a love song to the "hot guy" who works in the ice cream bar shop right behind the stage -- despite them not even knowing his name. Not exactly what I'm there for. Between them and the guy who owns the BBQ shop in the Food Court, who, for several weeks running, has tried to get me to hype his shop in return for a free dinner (which I don't need, 'cuz I eat before I get there) -- it's too much pressure!

They stayed for quite a while, until I got my camera out and they leaped out of their chairs. I thought they were gonna get together and pose, but they were really jumping up to run away! I sure didn't expect that these particular girls would be camera shy...

But the night was generally very slow (only $35 in tips). It was surprisingly cold, and I'd only brought my vest, because last weekend it was nice and warm. This was a huge mistake, 'cuz I was freezing and shivering long before it was even half over. I kept telling myself that I could just go home, but there was always just one or two people really listening somewhere out there, so I couldn't do it. I'm such a sucker...

Finally a nice couple came and listened for a while, and after a couple of songs the girl jumped up and suddenly asked "What's your favorite hot drink?" Taken off guard, I said "Hot chocolate", and she said, "I knew it!", and took off. A minute or two later, in the middle of a song, she set a Starbucks hot chocolate down on my table, and then she and her boyfriend waved and left before I could even thank her. That was amazingly nice.

1 comment:

Warren said...

Lovely gesture..! You must have made her and her boyfriend a little bit more happy.