Monday, April 19, 2010

Keith at Borders South Coast Plaza -- 16Apr2010

Started off really well, with several nice people already in the up-front comfy chairs, including one guy who I've seen before and apparently also remembers me, since he told a cellphone caller, "I'm gonna hang out here a while -- there's a guitar player setting up and he's pretty good".

That gave me someone to play for right off the bat, which helps a lot. And a lot of people heard the little intro speech that it was possible to make, given someone to make it to. So then a lot of people were willing to step up and request a song... Snowball...

In fact, I hadn't expected such participation, and my plan was to play my second-string material for a while to warm up/clear out my voice, and then start the video cameras to record the Good Stuff. But, all the requests were unerringly for the good songs, so I'd already done them all before I got a point where I could start the recording. I also couldn't afford to crash the momentum by stopping playing to start the cameras, so my plan was out the window.

Which made a great night, performing- and fun-wise, but not so good recording-wise. I did manage to get a few decent song takes towards the very end, so not a total loss, but it's more about the moment than the recording thereof. And it was good to have my voice back to near-full strength, after so long.

No comments: