Sunday, April 25, 2010

Keith at Irvine Spectrum - 23Apr2010

A slow but very fun Friday night. I had some kids come by right off the bat, so I got a good start. Most of the night was pretty empty, but even then there were at least a few people really listening and joining in with requests. It got really good toward the end, with lots of people into it. I happened to look around and saw the maintenance guys standing there. Whoops -- I checked the time and it was 10:15 already. Time flies and all that...

The ice cream bar place behind me has a new employee, who came out and asked if I knew "Michelle", 'cuz it was "the best song in the world", and, not so coincidentally, also her name. I do -- or *did*, it's tricky to play, and I haven't for a long time, but I got through it OK. A while later I confused the heck out of a, in retrospect, *different* long-and-very-blonde haired girl by asking her what her *middle* name was. It was Taylor, though she was baffled as to how that was relevant...

The New Song of the Week was Paul Simon's "American Tune", which I've been "learning" for 20 years, but I think I can sing high enough now, and I've finally decided that the way I play it is the way *I* play it, and it's fine. I played it twice, and the second time through it went quite well.

I tried to capture some video, and just to make my life even more complex, I brought 4 (!) cameras: my old standby on its boom on the top of the amp (to my left); my old still camera clipped to the music stand, pointing (theoretically) at my guitar-playing left hand; and two Flip cameras from work, one strapped to the back of the amp, and one on top of the other speaker, to my right.

The first one performed admirably, as always: got great sound and recorded two 1:40-long battery's worth of good video. The other still camera turns out to record at a very low-res 320x240, and it inexplicably gave up quite early, but at least it got something. The Flip on the amp worked OK, but quit (as it's unforgivably designed to do) after an hour, and when I tried to restart it, its memory was full.

The Flip on the speaker froze up after 35 minutes, and when I hard-rebooted it, lost that file. On restart, it ran only 12 more minutes and quit. Massive fail. Luckily, of the three songs it caught, "Carolina in My Mind" was a pretty good take, so I can salvage that, at least. The big problem, of course, is that I can only set the cameras up pointing vaguely towards myself, start 'em up, and hope -- I can't see if they're properly aimed, or even actually working, 'cuz I'm on the wrong side.

Not sure why I had such bad luck with the cameras, but it was probably because I was singing and playing the best I've been for a month or more...

Or the cold. It was plenty chilly out there, and I had some trouble with the more intricate fingerwork towards the end, but at least I wasn't shivering. I made $40.04; half of that was from a guy who had been transmitting me live to a girl on the other end of his mobile video phone (!) for a half-dozen songs, and then bought one of each CD with a twenty. I could see her face on the little screen as he was pointing his phone at me. Is it the future yet?

No comments: