Saturday, January 19, 2013

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- 19Jan2013

We had a weird break in the cold weather for an almost summer-like weekend and a lot of people came out to the mall. But it was oddly difficult to get anyone to stop and listen. Maybe I was just off my game...

It was the first outing at Spectrum for my new wireless guitar interface, making me completely disconnected. I didn't really expect it to be that different, but it is. Obviously, I can now walk around the stage (but only if I don't need to see the song sheet or click the harmony box's buttons), but what I didn't anticipate is that I can also turn around as much as I want to. When there's a cable attached to the guitar, it's risky to spin in place, 'cuz you wind yourself up, and have to remember to un-spin the opposite direction, and also be sure not to trip yourself on the wire that you're wrapping yourself up in. With the all-wireless rig, there's no worries.

And this is especially useful at Spectrum where I'm out in the middle of the corridor, with people coming in from both directions. I've settled on playing away from the fountain, but there are some people who camp out at the tables that line the sides of the fountain behind me, so now I can periodically turn around to see if anyone's back there, or acknowledge some applause, or just to get a different outlook. I'm pretty pleased with it.

Anyway, despite not feeling like I was connecting very much, I sold 4 CDs and made $129 (and somebody put a twenty in there), so I guess I didn't do as bad as it felt like I was. The money's nice and all, but I'd be happier with the evening with less money and more connecting. I need to work on my "patter"...

No comments: