Sunday, January 13, 2013

Keith at Laguna Beach -- 13Jan2013

I really only went down there to see if, by charging the amp for three days straight, it'd last longer than 2 hours. It didn't. I thought that maybe the last time I'd only gotten 2 hours it was because I didn't charge it enough. Nope.

And it was cold. Really cold. I was hoping, against my own best interests, that it would hurry up and crap out so I could go home and get warm. When it finally did, I packed up like a zombie hoard was on its way, and practically ran to the car.

I did get a chance to try out some new songs. Stuff always sounds different out in the real world than it does playing at home. I've (inexplicably) worked up a medley of "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" and "Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys", which seemed pretty cool at home, but didn't really fly out there. I'm not sure I'll ever have the guts to play 'em with people actually listening, anyway. But I also learned "Please Come to Boston", which sounded pretty good at home, and even better out on the corner, so I think that one's a keeper.

Nobody stopped to listen, of course, except one lady who may or may not have really been stopping to smoke her cigarette (though she did drop some money in). Mostly people just sped by, on their way to someplace warmer, I guess -- but several of them tossed a buck in on their way past. Not sure how they made the decision to tip me when they couldn't have heard more'n a half verse on their way by, but I guess they either had pity on the blue-lipped singin' boy, or I'm just terrific in small doses.

So, although the tips-to-passersby ratio was high, it was almost completely deserted, so I only made $8.50. Sorry Ma, you can't get that operation yet...

But I was really only down there to time the amp in a real-world situation. On the other hand, until it warms up a bit, I guess the battery-life issue is moot. I've had my fill of freezing to death for a while. And the homeless guys have heard all my stuff by now.

1 comment:

John Johnson said...

Glad to hear you're taking some time off... I was about ready to organize and intervention.