Saturday, August 31, 2013

K&W in Laguna Beach -- Saturday, 31Aug2013

I took over for Jim again, at about 6:30, and since it was Saturday, we had great people until almost midnight. That meant that I played over 5 hours, but Warren played for almost 8, with only a few breaks for PB&J.

Right off the bat we had a girl come up who wanted to sing along. Let's just say that she was extremely enthusiastic, though I think that "drunk" would be a more accurate term. Anyway, I usually let people sing if they want to (and are doing it for fun, and not to be disruptive), but since they don't have a mic and I do, nobody can really hear them over me. She had a friend -- or instantly made one the way that only drunk people can -- who wanted to do the wiggle dance, so we really had some fun crazy on display, right away.

Later on, we had a nice couple who stopped to listen for a while, and turned out to be from Liverpool. I thought she might like "Ruby Tuesday", but discovered that Liverpudlians are offended by offers of Stones songs...

But apparently it was Karaoke Night (though nobody told *me*), 'cuz she eventually came over, not to request a song to hear, but to request one to *sing*. She chose "The First Cut is the Deepest", which I very seldom play, and played way too fast, but she had a huge voice and belted it out without need of a microphone. Impressive.

Toward the end, a guy came up and asked me if I knew any songs in the key of G. Strange question, but, yes, I guess a few of them are... Turns out, in keeping with the inexplicable Karaoke theme, he wanted to play harmonica along with us, but he only had one that played in G. I don't exactly have an index of my songs listed by key, and the ones I could think of weren't exactly harmonica blues tunes, so it didn't really work out, but he fumbled around a bit on "Georgia on my Mind".

There was also a group of ladies that were in the midst of a Bachelorette Party, and some random guy from the crowd grabbed her (recognizable by the tiara), and danced her around for a song, causing her friends to whoop and squeal. That was fun.

So it was a long night, but we made $145, and had lots of fun with lots of nice people.

1 comment:

John Johnson said...

Damn... you guys can party like a rock star!