Tuesday, August 06, 2013

K&W in Laguna Beach -- Tuesday, 06Aug2013

Wow! Not huge crowds, but lots of people, almost all the time. And apparently generous ones, because we crashed through the previous tip record to the tune of $167. That's more than I'd made the previous Saturday at Spectrum!

It started fun, right off the bat. I was playing the first song, which is always "Hotel California", and I walked out in front of the amp while I was playing to check the levels (since I'm entirely wireless now). There was nobody around yet, so I just went ahead and sat down on the bench to finish the last verse. Out of nowhere this crazy neo-hippie college girl appears and sits down right next to me. Well, hi! If you're gonna sit so close, you're gonna have to take over the fretboard duties.

Her friends wandered up, too, but she was busy telling me what song to do next, and dancing around, and generally being a "free spirit". I should have broken out "Ruby Tuesday"...

Much later, a guy came over and held up a twenty dollar bill, and asked me if I knew any George Strait. I told him, no, but I know some Willie Nelson. He made a face that meant no thanks, and asked about Garth Brooks. The only Garth song I know is "To Make You Feel My Love", which is really a Bob Dylan song, sung by Garth in a movie, but apparently not actually a hit for him, 'cuz the guy'd never heard it.

But he put the twenty in the jar anyway, to hear a song he'd never heard of, by an artist he didn't want. And then he missed it anyway 'cuz his phone rang...

No comments: