Thursday, August 01, 2013

Keith on the Radio -- Thursday, 01Aug2013

Kooky self-appointed greeter Mikey has gotten himself a little gig co-hosting the morning show on the local Laguna Beach radio station, along with DJ and station owner, Tyler. Mikey's been bringing in guests -- usually the street musicians that he hangs out with. Jim & Warren did a show a few weeks ago, and Mikey invited me to do one.

Tyler asked me to be there at 7:45, but since I usually get to work at least that early, it wasn't much of a problem -- except that it's pretty hard to sing that early in the morning. But I sang in my car all the way there so I was reasonably warmed up.

I got there plenty early to relax in a little, and Tyler's a pretty amiable guy. I was still a little nervous, like I always get in a new situation, and I could hear an unusual quavering in my voice at times. But it was mostly no problem -- picking songs that I can do in my sleep ("You've Got a Friend" and "Over the Rainbow") helped.

Unfortunately, he didn't ask me the questions I'd expected/hoped for in the interview part, so I didn't get to tell the stories I had wanted to, but I guess that was bound to happen.

I kinda thought he'd ask more distinctly about where I was playing and when -- I never got a chance to plug the Sawdust Festival gig the next Wed, for instance. He did mention the Spectrum gig on Saturday, though. Not that anybody's actually listening, nor would any of them rush down to see me at the next gig...

But it was fun, and a different experience, for sure. And he records stuff like that and posts it as a podcast, so I was able to play it for my mom. That's all that counts anyway.

No comments: