Monday, December 08, 2014

Keith at Lawyer Party -- Monday, 08Dec2014

Let's just say it was nothing like what I was picturing. I thought it was gonna a "Holiday Party", with like lots of people, chatting and laughing, cheerful lighting, spiked punch, inappropriate remarks, lampshades on heads -- you know, like a cocktail party you see on TV.

Instead it was an "on the way home from work" get together. No spouses, just a bunch of lawyers with nothing in common but work, talking shop for two hours while I played over in the corner like I was in a different movie. More like a company meeting than a party. Or rather like when some people get to a meeting a little early and are standing around talking.

Since I'd be in a room full of lawyers, and I'm not technically legally allowed to *sell* CDs (no business license, and no rights to the songs), I made up a sign that I was hoping they'd find amusing -- "CDs are free. My tip jar is over there -->". They had a table out for me, so I put the sign, some Christmas CDs, some regular CDs, and my song lists out. I thought, "Lawyers make a lot of money, they'll be good tippers, and I'll make more than my usual five bucks per CD".

So here I was in this dark little side room at a restaurant, the size of a living room. About 30 people total, all jammed on the other side of the room as far away from me as possible. I'd'a thought I was too loud, but the lady running the "party" told me that the volume was "just right".

They just stayed away from me like I was selling life insurance, and from the table like it was "Free Ebola". Finally near the end of the party, somebody put in two bucks, and a guy took one of each CD, and put in five bucks. So much for "Lawyers will be good tippers".

Coincidentally, the corporate lawyer from Toshiba was one of the 30 lawyers there, and we had worked together on some stuff and became friends. Before he left, he also took one of each CD and put in a ten -- my usual price.

But hey, I got paid to be there. And nobody said that your job was gonna be "fun" all the time.


No comments: