Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Keith at Senior Center -- Tuesday, 09Dec2014

My wife volunteered me to come play some Christmas music for the old folks at the senior center where she takes the dogs to visit twice a month. It was in a big multipurpose room, with a stage and everything. Playing *indoors*. Twice in a row!

All the old folks were very nice, and of course loved the Christmas music and some other songs to fill out the hour. Lots of them sang along on the classics: "White Christmas", "I'll Be Home...", "Winter Wonderland", "Comin' to Town", etc.

The only dark spot was a guy over at the side who would not, did not stop talking the whole time. It wasn't much of a problem for me, 'cuz once I was playing I couldn't hear him, but the poor guy next to him looked beleaguered. Staff people kept going over to try to shut him up, but had no luck. Finally one of the staff ladies went over and managed to get him talking to her, to let the other guy off the hook. She couldn't stop Mister Talkative, but she could change his target. Awfully nice of her to take that bullet...

When I finished, lots of the old folks came up to tell me how nice it was, and how much they liked the music, etc. After they were all gone, the lady who runs the program came by to tell me how much everyone enjoyed it, and if I wanted to, she could set me up on a monthly schedule, and pay me $60 per visit. That's a ways below my usual fee, but a steady gig, guaranteed nice (mostly) attentive audience, indoors, with great acoustics -- I think I may take her up on that.


No comments: