Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Keith at Private Party -- Wednesday, 24Dec2014

I got an email from a guy who had heard me play for the Santa Claus line, saying how much he liked it, and wondering if I was free to play for his family's Christmas Eve party. Since all my family stuff is on Christmas Day, I said yes.

I was hoping it was going to be more than just, like, him and his mom, but fortunately, he has a really big family and there were about 30 people there: grandma, aunts, uncles, cousins, and half-a-dozen kids.

In an email, he warned me that, since last year his grandma was too frail to attend except in her pajamas, they now have a family tradition of the whole party is in pajamas -- and I could do the same. But when I found out that it was going to be in the back yard, I decided to wear my usual 4-layer Playing In December outfit. I didn't have the luxury of hanging out under one of the heaters, or going inside to warm up, like they all did. Nobody seemed to mind that I was Out Of Uniform. And of course, they all go out and get new fun pajamas just for this.

As I was leaving, the guy told me that it was great, and especially since his mom, who usually never leaves the kitchen at these things, was compelled to come out and actually enjoy the music/party for once.

I left him with 5 Christmas CDs and 5 "Favorites" CDs, as my Christmas gifts/souvenirs for whoever wanted them.



No comments: