Monday, July 10, 2017

K&W in Laguna Beach -- Monday, 10Jul2017

Not bad for a Monday night. I love summer in Laguna.

We had lots of kids at first, including a trio of tiny 3- or 4-year olds from Mexico who didn't speak English but were able to choose their favorite kids' songs from my picture menu. Then two ladies came by with their 6-year-old daughters all dressed in formal kimonos. I've been inexplicably learning some Japanese lately, so I went over and said "Konban wa", but only the moms spoke it, so that didn't go over as well as I'd hoped.

Later on, some oldsters came by and listened for a while, then came up and asked me if I knew any Sam Cooke. I played "Wonderful World" for them, and they immediately busted into some wild swing dancing! People cleared out of their way, and got out their phones to take videos. And now that I knew what they were up to, I did a couple of similar songs (like "Dream Lover") until it looked like the old guy was going to pass out, so I kind of stopped to give him a break. (No pictures -- they were moving too fast!)

They told us that they did swing dancing at Laguna Woods, and we ought to be playing for those dances. I said that, despite appearances tonight, we really weren't a "dance band" (lacking bass and drums), but I wonder if there's any opportunities for "concerts" there...

No comments: