Wednesday, July 12, 2017

K&W in Laguna Beach -- Wednesday, 12Jul2017

Warren and his other friend Jim usually play on Wednesday nights, but Jim couldn't make it so I went down instead. It was a pretty nice night with lots of people out.


For some reason, it was "Buy a CD night" and I sold nine of them. A little old lady came by and sat on the bench listening for a while, and then dug into her purse and was scribbling something in a little book. It turned out to be a check book, and she dropped a check to "the name on the sign" for two CDs, "one for me and one for a friend".

She went back to the bench for a while, before asking if I knew any Mary McCaslin songs. I think she wanted to hear "The Bramble and the Rose", but knowing even one Mary McCaslin song is rare enough, and the one I know is "Waiting", so I did it for her. That great but obscure song pretty much chased the small crowd that I'd gathered away, but it was worth it. Nobody *ever* asks for Mary McCaslin...

Pretty early on, a policeman came by on his official bicycle. He stopped over at the side and just watched and listened for a while. That makes me nervous, of course, but it was way before the 9pm curfew, so I just kept playing -- and actually felt pretty good that he was there to observe the lots of people smiling and having fun.

Warren finally said to him, hopefully jokingly, "We thought you were here to shut us down!", and he said, "Oh, no, even if there were complaints, I'd work to keep you guys here -- I like you guys!" That was amazing to hear!

No comments: