Friday, July 21, 2017

Keith at Taco Surf -- Friday, 21Jul2017

This was my second time here (of five scheduled so far), and it worked out much better. I mostly solved the feedback problem by moving the amp to my right so it's projecting half of the sound into the room and half out onto the patio (where most of the people are anyway, since it's hot). I also walked out in front of it to hear what it's really like, and the wait staff weren't jiving me -- it does sound OK out there (unlike how it sounds back where I am).

Anyway, with that solved, I feel better about it and can focus on the music instead of the sound. It was a bit less noisy, too -- I think there were just fewer people in the room.

A guy in the back read through the list and decided he wanted none of the above, and did I know any Johnny Cash? I do, and played "Folsom Prison Blues" for him, after which he came up and dropped a $20 in the jar. Nice!

Near the end, a group of college kids came in and sat at the nearest table. Pretty soon I had them singing along to "Do You Want To Build a Showman" (and they even provided Elsa's sole line, "Go away, Anna!", for me), "Hotel California", "Mrs. Robinson", and I volunteered "Don't Stop Believing", even though I keep it off the list. A splendid time was had by all.

Anyway, after the first difficult outing here, I wasn't sure this was what I wanted to do with my time, but this time was much more fun, so I guess I'll keep doing it. For a while anyway.

No comments: